Myth Starter Guide

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Postby vinylrake » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:01 pm

vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:38 pm

vinylrake Wrote:http://hl.udogs.net/files/Gaming/%20Myth%20Series/Myth%2a0II%20-%20Soulblighter/Documents/Information/Manuals/Myth%20II%20Manual/pages/contents.html

ENNGGGH... Thank you for playing, but that link appears to be a 404... ;)
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby Pyro » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Ah yes, thanks VR. I placed a link to that next to the Tain download link for it. Btw, you left an "a" between a "Myth%2" and "0II" which caused the link not to work.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby vinylrake » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:52 am

Baak Wrote:
vinylrake Wrote:http://hl.udogs.net/files/Gaming/%20Myth%20Series/Myth%2a0II%20-%20Soulblighter/Documents/Information/Manuals/Myth%20II%20Manual/pages/contents.html

ENNGGGH... Thank you for playing, but that link appears to be a 404... ;)

i hate % and space punctuation issues in urls. cut and paste and things should just 'work' you know? but nooooooooooooooooooooo..... udogs is one of the WORST offending sites for having impractical directory names just riddled with spaces.

here's another (mirror) link to the same document. Note the complete LACK of spaces in the url.
http://www.mything.org/mythgraveyard/do ... anual.html
vinylrake

Postby Baak » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:48 am

Very cool! Had to give you a hard time when I saw that url... ;)

Agreed - the space thing is beyond annoying. Even worse is the ' thing. The worst part about it imo is that you have to substitute the hex ascii value for the character - truly obscure.

The way I do it is to grab the url from wherever, then paste it into FF (or your browser), then grab the translated url after it does the work. But yeah, it should just work from the start.
Baak

Postby vinylrake » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:52 am

Baak Wrote:The way I do it is to grab the url from wherever, then paste it into FF (or your browser), then grab the translated url after it does the work. But yeah, it should just work from the start.

For some arcane reason (I am probably behind in my virgin sacrifice to Cthulu quota this month) the url doesn't always translate for me in ff.

I just wish udogs would REMOVE the spaces from their directory/folder names. Just because you CAN use spaces doesn't mean you should. If underscores and dashes were good enough placeholders for our computing ancestors, they are good enough for us. That's what I say.

BRING BACK THE PUNCH CARD!
vinylrake

Postby Baak » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:05 am

My suggestion for using FF works in FF3, but you won't see the converted chars in the address bar (you'll only see them when they are pasted somewhere else).

Yeah, even more evil is that someone used a leading space to prioritize the Myth Series (i.e. " Myth Series"), which is easy to miss. Dang, there are like 500 spaces in that url!

Found this page on the subject, but it seems a tad old (Netscape 3 anyone?) - a lot of it is probably still relevant though, since I doubt much has changed in the standard:
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/ ... coding.htm
Baak

Postby Pyro » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:00 am

Yeah when I make a plug and zip it, I alter the name of the zip so it has no spaces, apostrophes, or periods. At one point they at the udogs hotline did rename the folders, but some people asked for the original names back for the user uploads at least. The reason being that the new names broke all links some people had been using for images and whatnot. VR, I don't know how you got that extra "a" inside one of the spaces itself "%20". I never have broken links. 8)
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby vinylrake » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 am

the errant 'a' could have come from my spastic keyboard. the keyboard i finally replaced last night (with a borrowed WINDOWS keyboard no less!) had a problem. First the arrow keys stopped working, so when playing Myth I couldn't view ingame comments once they scrolled off the screen, OR re-orient the direction my units were facing in. I lived with that for a couple of weeks. THEN my apple-key started failing intermittently so sometimes I couldn't make or recall formations or do many other useful things like cut and paste. No problem, if I weren't such a n00b it might have effected my mything adversely, but I am and it didn't. Around the same time ALL the keys on the bottom of the keyboard started flaking out (z-m,./=shift) and I had to press and hold a key to get it to 'type'. I lived with that for a week+. Then finally last night all the bottom row keys stopped working and keys in the next row started sticking. My backup keyboard I realized has the insulation so worn away on the cable that I can see bare shiny wires. Or maybe just shielding, but either way it acts funky too. So now I am on a windows keyboard which has SOME quirk, I just can't remember what it is yet. I am sure I will find out mid myth game when I try some crucial maneuver.

I realize you don't care about this. I just hate keyboards and needed to vent.
vinylrake

Postby Baak » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Duuuuude... Keyboards, mice, and screens have to work or you will slowly keel yourself with the extra stress. ;)
Baak

PreviousNext

Return to Gabber's Corner