Myth Starter Guide

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Myth Starter Guide

Postby Pyro » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:12 am

Ok, so I haven't quite finished it, but it now comes in japanese thanks to CRC.

Myth Starter Guide
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby Baak » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:03 pm

I'm holding out for the Serbo-Croatian version. ;)

Seriously - looks great! I put it on the top of the "Essentials" list on the Mything Links page.

Only thing missing imo is a section on good third-party plugins (hint, hint) and/or a link to the OoH Downloads page (hint, hint).
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby Pyro » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:00 pm

After CRC got it translated to japanese, I got motivated to work on it some more. I haven't updated the one online, but the version I got on my comp now has a new image for the healing tips, an overhead section with an image, and a link to the tain download for the original myth 2 manual.

Baak Wrote:Only thing missing imo is a section on good third-party plugins (hint, hint) and/or a link to the OoH Downloads page (hint, hint).

Hehe, I was thinking of adding a link to the Mything Links, which would be an indirect way of placing the OoH site on the guide. :D The Mything Links alone would be all the links anyone would ever want.

I still plan on mentioning Inventory, Hosting/Autohosting, Lingo/Shorthand, and a section on 1.7 stuff that will only be added once at least a public beta for it is out. I might even mention more stuff on controls/prefs that might be useful and maybe some basic troubleshooting issues.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby Pyro » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:25 am

Since the list of topics is getting kinda long, I thought of re-organizing them into 4 main groups. The underlined parts are the section titles and not actual topics. The topics with a hyphen/minus in front of them are new topics that haven't been added yet. If you guys have any ideas such as other topics I might not have thought of, let me know.

Before loading Myth
What is Myth, and where can I find a demo?
Where can I buy Myth?
How do I install Myth, updates, plugins, and cutscenes?
How do I install Myth on Mac OSX?
-How do I run Myth on Linux?
I am new or returning to Myth, what do I need to know?

Loaded Myth, now what?
How do I play single player or activate plugins for it?
How do I get on a server to play online?
How do I play in a LAN or through a direct connection?
What are the basics of the lobby?
What are the basics of a game lobby?
Chatting? Private Messaging? Team Messaging?
-Hosting? Autohosting?

How to play Myth
I have never played in a Myth game online, help!
Healing Tips
-How do I use the overhead map and draw?
-Inventory?
-Controls and Preferances
How do I use or activate plugins online? I see red games!

Additional Information
-Beta Updates and Plugins
-Myth Lingo
-Troubleshooting
How do I make plugins?
Myth TFL?
Myth III?
-The 1.7 Features
Where can I get more information?
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby vinylrake » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:08 am

Pyro,

I've said it before I know, but I REALLY like your Myth Guide!

A couple of REALLY minor suggestions/points which may be irrelevent since this is just a draft outline you provided.

I would change 'loaded' to 'installed' - I don't have any evidence to back up my opinion, but I think people generally talk about installing software rather than loading it. Minor I know - might makethe guide more accessible/less intimidating to newbs.

You have sections for installing Myth on Macs and Linux - how one for Windows? ;)

I was going to suggest in the 'more info'section that you link to the MythII manualthen I remembered that you said your working copy (not pulished yet) has that link? If there's anything you would want to link to from deadsites let me know I'd e happy to set up a custom links page on mything.org so you could link to one page instead of having multiple links to maintain. I've actually wanted to do that - to have a 'best of' type of page with the most useful articles grouped by topic - e.g. online mything, unit guides, strategy/tactics tips, etc.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Pyro » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:01 am

Yea, originally I was placing "installed" rather than "loaded". But that section wasn't only about installing Myth (like the what is myth, where to buy, and the new/returning player info). I wasn't set on "loaded", and I do know what you mean about "installed" (was the original choice). I guess I could set it back.

Heh, I know I don't have the word "Windows" on the topic, but the first one is a general installation topic for Windows and whatever other OS that uses similar instructions. Mac OSX has its own topic, but it is more of an addition to the previous topic. Addition because it still has the player use the info on the other. The Linux topic would probably be the only OS with its own topic due to it running in an OS that Myth was not made for to begin with.

Yes I did add the Myth II Manual Tain link to my local version of the guide. As for the more links, I was thinking of adding a link to the Mything Links that Baak has set up, or does it not have all the good stuff?
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby vinylrake » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:09 am

well.... no one has ALL the good stuff, and I haven't looked at it closely in a while, but from what I recall, Baak's mything links (I swear I had that name for a page like 7 years ago... probably me and 100 other myth sites) page is a good condensation - the cream of the crop of links in those categories.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Pyro » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:44 pm

Well the guide doesn't need a link to all the links of Myth, just the good stuff being what they need, what they want, and what they should want. ;) Plus other stuff for curious people.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby Baak » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:53 pm

I dunno VR - it's definitely a possibility - think we banged around enough Myth-related names to cover 'em all. Funny though, I swear you had another different name you were using but I can't recall it off-hand.

If you guys have any other "good stuff" links that aren't on the Mything Links page, by all means let me know and I'll put them in there. It's so much easier for me to do after I redid the page (it's all db-based including sorting, etc.).

[Edit] Pyro: I'm thinking of putting a link to the Starter Guide on the main OoH links, while moving the current "Unit Guide" to the Archives (it's pretty basic and quite old) and renaming the Links back to Mything Links (the way it used to be).
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby Pyro » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Nice, Baak.

I uploaded a new version of the guide. I reorganized the topics, and placed the 1.7 topic in the "How to play Myth" section rather than in the "Additional Information" section. I added all the other topics, but most of them are still under construction. I added another feature at the very top of the guide. Zeph had mentioned how white text on a black background didn't look good, so now the user can change the text color at will.
Pyro

OoH Member

Next

Return to Gabber's Corner