Myth Starter Guide

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Postby Omicron » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:27 pm

You forgot to make a section on how TFL is better than Myth II, in ways like the taunts, storyline, level design, funness, etc.
Omicron

OoH Special Guest

Postby Pyro » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:27 pm

Omicron Wrote:You forgot to make a section on how TFL is better than Myth II, in ways like the taunts, storyline, level design, funness, etc.

Sorry, but the guide only includes the truth. ;)
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby lank » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Pyro Wrote:
Omicron Wrote:You forgot to make a section on how TFL is better than Myth II, in ways like the taunts, storyline, level design, funness, etc.

Sorry, but the guide only includes the truth. ;)

so why's it missing that bit? :p
lank

OoH Member

Postby Pyro » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:50 pm

Heh, seems PPE added the guide to top of Mnet's Links section and at the bottom of the Main Menu links.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby Pyro » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:43 am

Okay guys, I want some ideas of what to add to the "Myth Lingo" section. Right now I got some shorthand for units and a few others. I plan on adding a few more. Tell me any shorthand that is commonly used in Myth. This section will be more useful for players that don't speak English quite well. And while you arer at it, tell me some questions and problems people seem to have so I can add them to the "Troubleshooting and Other Questions" section. I got some in mind, but the list is still short.

Oh and DA, I need your help with the Linux section. I need instructions and info on how to set Myth under Linux. Instructions that even a newbie user can understand.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby vinylrake » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:13 pm

you should include the obvious 'gl' 'gg' 'glahf'
common abbreviations for each game type " stb, lmoh/lmoth, bop, ctf, terries, etc
common map abbreviations... gimble,venice,mazz,clash,chest, etc
common net terms: ping, lag, drop, etc
common unit name abbreviations: zerk,jman,duff/dorf,arc,myrk,etc
and don't forget: 'check in'

if you want more words from which to choose the most common/useful, you could always check out the myth dictionary:

http://mything.org/index.php?a=words-all-letter

ps. This is probably obvious to you, but I would recommend making sure you have your focus for your newbie guide well defined. Otherwise if you aren't careful and keep adding topics and expanding sections, you may end up with something like mything.org. e.g. TONS of information, but too much for the newbie to use or find efficiently. From experience with FAQs and maintaining the Myth FAQ for a couple of years, I can say that the larger a guide gets the more unwieldly and unused it will become. It can be a hard balance to find - the balance between brevity-ease-of-use and having all the info you think should be in the guide - but if you keep the balance in mind it will probably help you keep your guide as useful as possible.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Omicron » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:03 pm

wig hgh lock pigs brigs omi bre spids stigs 8)
Omicron

OoH Special Guest

Postby Pyro » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:37 pm

Worry not VR, I don't plan on adding any more topics. I think I got all the common and useful stuff covered. Keeping the guide as a FAQ style page, the user will be able to focus on the section they wish to know. Many of the sections are quite small, the pictures are what makes the guide look so big. The only things needed now is the linux section, finishing the controls/prefs section, adding some common troubleshooting to the section of said name, and adding all 1.7 user features into the 1.7 section when 1.7 is public. I also have to tell CRC to update the japanese version. :p Then once the guide is done minus the 1.7 section, I should be done with it once and for all.

I completely forgot about gametype lingo, thanks VR. Ah ha! Thanks Omi, I overlooked a few that I thought I had already added.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby Omicron » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Forgot puss. ](*,)
Although you may have already remembered that.
Omicron

OoH Special Guest

Postby Pyro » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:30 pm

I updated the guide again. The lingo section is pretty long now. :) I want feedback for the controls I have so far in the "Controls and Prefrences" section. I use Windows, so for Mac there might be different keys used or Mac-only keys like Windows has for Alt-F11.
Pyro

OoH Member

PreviousNext

Return to Gabber's Corner