MWC is here!

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

MWC is here!

Postby Zaknafein » Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 am

http://thegjol.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

It started again and I'm sure 99% of you have no intention of participating.

However I have a couple of things to say that hopefully will make you reconsider.

1. All of myth reaps the benefits of MWC season. Yes there is obviously more "noob bashing" going on with all the competitive players out trying to train for MWC. However the increased number of players during this time means more games for everybody. It also encourages new/returning players when they see 1-2 full rooms and multiple games to join. Not to mention it reminds everyone that this game has a pulse. For most of us, we have logged on too many times to see 0 games and less than 10 players.

This benefits the average map-maker because it increases the number of players that will try out their new quarantine/mazz version, or try out that new co-op. Greater attendance in these games is usually more fun for everyone.

2. The teams will be less lopsided this MWC, meaning that even if you aren't that great at "reg/vanilla" myth, your team is less likely to get stomped. If you don't have a team, there is a higher likelihood that a team will want you to join them. What reassurances are there that what I said is true?

http://thegjol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=499

As you can see in the link to the rules that I just posted, our tournament host Grim is implementing a salary cap in this MWC. There will be a limit to how many upper-tier players one team is allowed to add to their roster. This will distribute the talent more evenly throughout all the different teams, as well as increase the number of teams in the tournament.

3. Solidarity. If "reggers", co-opers, ww2ers, and mapmakers all participate in each others' activities/events, this game is going to be more fun for everybody. Yeah there are people with bad attitudes who will ruin games when they crossover from one style of play to another. But there is the benefit of having more players testing your patches, 3rd party netmaps, and co-ops. If we all shy away from each other pretending that the other side of myth doesn't exist, this game will die all the faster. E Pluribus Unum people!

Thanks for reading my thread.

PS: I am also attempting to reach out to inactive/retired mythers who might have forgotten about myth or MWC. If anyone can prove me links or contact info for these mything groups I would be very grateful: http://thegjol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=538
Zaknafein

OoH Member

Re: MWC is here!

Postby vinylrake » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 pm

This is the 3rd site I've seen you spam with this same announcement. Can't you even change your opening line a bit to make it more inviting? Starting off by saying 99% of us have no intention of playing is not going to invite people to check out MWC. OoH fielded MWC teams for a few years, you know that. The 99% of 'us' who aren't intending to play are the same 99% who don't play Myth anymore or even read this forum regularly. The other 1% aren't going to find your 'invitation' very appealing.

Which is too bad because MWC can be a fun experience. At least that's what I hear.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Frumius » Fri May 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Golly!

I had no problem with Zach's announcement. I appreciate him posting it here. I wouldn't rewrite it much for each posting either. But it shouldn't start with a negative statement, as that does weaken it.

That said, I read the whole thing, and I have many, many great memories of playing [losing] in many MWC tournaments. I don't have any links for you to groups who would be interested, unfortunately.

Here at OoH, our playing time consists of one Saturday evening each month, on which date 2-3, maybe 4, people show up. We play stuff from the Battle Plan, so you gotta have that to play.

I'll be playing tomorrow night with us :)
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby vinylrake » Sat May 04, 2013 5:44 am

That was my point Frum - though I said it less graciously.

These forums were the 3rd place I saw the same announcement with the same negative comment at the beginning - I think it was a cumulative effect. And since Zak knows OoH isn't against playing in an MWC it really felt not only negative but generically spammish.

That said, I have a lot of fun memories of MWC's past as well.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Return to Gabber's Corner