Controlling Units (or not) after all this time

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Controlling Units (or not) after all this time

Postby Baak » Wed May 22, 2013 7:36 pm

So I installed Myth on this computer and fired up the solo campaign.

Got through to the end of The Baron on Normal without too much trouble. That was nice.

In the process I remembered what started to annoy me about playing Myth the past few years we were playing fairly heavily:

• Micro managing unit(s) seems to always result in deselecting the unit(s) at the worst times
  • When I Guard/Stop/Whatever units they STILL insist on attacking even when they shouldn't

These two things drive me nuts. I am going to dig out my old Myth 1.3 disk and do a separate folder/install of it to see if it behaved the same originally. I recall thinking at some point (the 1.5 Patch mb?) that something changed where I never seemed able to play as well, and it's not just getting old or that kind of crap, since I can kick @$$ on first-person shooters like I'm 19.

Anyone else have this experience? :)
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Re: Controlling Units (or not) after all this time

Postby Baak » Wed May 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Ok so I installed 1.3 separately. Wow, sobering experience. Seriously whacked on Win7Ultimate!

Similar experiences. I think what is happening is my pen is not the greatest input device for this game. Looks like it is trying to do the "Facing Arrows" too often/quickly and this is deselecting units. I believe there is a prefs setting for this now and will try it out.

Still had units attacking when I say "NO!! DAMMIT!!!"

Also not being able to do the directional facing arrow thing is a serious problem... #-o

Any good FPS's we can play everywhere (Mac/PC) these days? :)
Baak

Postby vinylrake » Thu May 23, 2013 9:12 pm

hey baak,

i think one of the fixes in 1.8 (beta public testing available NOW) is to fix the 'Guard' option so that units (other than ranged) will guard and not attack.

so it might not be you. then again, at your age and with your rusty skills it very well could just be you.

;p
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Thu May 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Heh - it's probably just me. Good to here there's a fix in the works though! :)

I'm still trying to figure out how to get around the pen limitation. Must be input/device nonsense.
Baak

Postby vinylrake » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:18 am

1.8 has been officially released. grab it and give it a try. the extreme zoom (bird's eye view) when watching films (or observing a game) is pretty awesome.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Return to Gabber's Corner