OoH Site is back up! Doh!

Read OoH news/announcements and post feedback/support here

OoH Site is back up! Doh!

Postby Baak » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Our host suspended the site by mistake when a MySQL table was corrupted and they were unable to reach me (their fault actually, as they had outdated information).

Took me 2-3 minutes to fix once I knew what the problem was. Ugh.

Anyway, it's back up and running...
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Really???

Postby HedgeSnake » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Baak,

I'm glad you posted this message. I would not have known the site was back up and running otherwise!

Do you realize that the silliness of your message almost created an infinite loop within the internet so powerful that it would have sucked all human knowledge into oblivion!

Your message was almost as useful as when you call your ISP because your connection is down and the recorded message tells you the URL of where to find answers to FAQs of how to restore the connection!

Thanks for the laugh!

HS
HedgeSnake

OoH Member<br />1000 Club

Postby Frumius » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:13 pm

The site's back up? This is good news.

Hmm... I can't find it. I seem to have lost its bookmark, too.
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby sillek » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

It's still down for me. Can't even access the forums.
sillek

OoH Member

Postby vinylrake » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:32 am

losers. The site was up for me HOURS before it was available to you.

ps. anyone else get confused over the weekend when electronic devices with builtin daylight savings time kicked in and set their clocks back an hour saturday night? stupid US government changing the dates of DST.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:10 am

Heh. I posted this thread because the site came back on-line for a little while a couple of times during this fiasco, so it's more for me to be able to say: it's really fixed.

But I'm glad you guys got a kick out of it. :)

vinylrake Wrote:ps. anyone else get confused over the weekend when electronic devices with builtin daylight savings time kicked in and set their clocks back an hour saturday night? stupid US government changing the dates of DST.

No -- I think DST is evil anyway, but changing it is even more evil unless the device either changes itself automatically (the best way imo), or at least offers a way to be changed.

A client had some software built with an older version of Java that ran into this problem. Pretty evil that the Java engine didn't allow for this and have something that updated itself automatically (or had a simple text/ini/XML file that let you set it separate from any applications).
Baak

Postby vinylrake » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:38 am

Baak Wrote:No -- I think DST is evil anyway, but changing it is even more evil unless the device either changes itself automatically (the best way imo), or at least offers a way to be changed.

But my VCR isn't going to be going online checking a date-time server to set itself. I was more suprised my Mac changed since it was set to sync to a network time server - I THINK the 'DST' flag must apply after it gets the actual time - so the date-time sync logic gets the GMT, looks at the time zone you specified locally, calculates the time THEN looks to see if you have the DST flag checked and if so makes the -1/+1 adjustment based on which side of the hardcoded DST start-end dates today falls on. It's LOGICAL, it was just confusing when I stopped playing Myth saturday night and my computer said one time and my alarm clock said another, then when I walked through the house and saw the stove said one time (same as alarm) and my VCR said another (same as computer).
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:56 pm

Heh - with only some things doing the DST changes it's probably better if you just do it all manually. ;)
Baak

Postby sillek » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:56 pm

We don't observe DST in Arizona. I have the DST feature turned 'off' on any devices that feature the crappy option of auto-changing.
sillek

OoH Member

Postby Baak » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:16 pm

I think being able to manually intervene is always a good idea. :)
Baak

Next

Return to OoH News/Feedback/Support