Forums Upgrade

Read OoH news/announcements and post feedback/support here

Forums Upgrade

Postby Baak » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi All,

Going to be a bit of construction going on here for awhile with the forums. Decided to upgrade them to the latest (more secure) version, which of course means all the styling I had done is now gone.

I plan to bring back the old OoH styles as an option (probably the default), but in the meantime (since I have no idea what is involved with that) you can select alternate styles by going to your User Control Panel and selecting them.

Other than that, everything else should be the same. Please contact me if you notice anything odd.

Thanks!
--Baak
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Re: Forums Upgrade

Postby Baak » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Changed my mind. I'm going to have the default as "prosilver special edition" and then I will add "ooh classic" as I start to work on it. This will allow me to edit the header more easily, etc.

Note that the ooh classic styling will be a "work in progress" and may break at any time until it is complete. I will announce here when it is complete. Until then I suggest using the default style for now.
Baak

Postby Frumius » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:44 pm

I miss the old style... :)
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby Baak » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Frumius Wrote:I miss the old style... :)

Yeah, me too. I'll figure out how much is involved and see if I can get a free day to play with it soon(tm).
Baak

Postby vinylrake » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:37 pm

i miss the unique ooh branding of the old style, but i am not a big fan of light text on dark backgrounds(too many years on a 3270 terminal (old school computer reference)), so i find this a lot easier to read.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:28 am

vinylrake Wrote:i miss the unique ooh branding of the old style, but i am not a big fan of light text on dark backgrounds(too many years on a 3270 terminal (old school computer reference)), so i find this a lot easier to read.

Yeah, I'm thinking of adding some discreet tweaks from the old styling and not going all-out black this time. One thing I really miss are the LED's I put on the old forum. Much easier (imo) to see at a glance what was new/unread, etc. I may play with bringing those back at least (I'll see what it looks like).
Baak

Postby Frumius » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Baak Wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking of adding some discreet tweaks from the old styling and not going all-out black this time. One thing I really miss are the LED's I put on the old forum. Much easier (imo) to see at a glance what was new/unread, etc. I may play with bringing those back at least (I'll see what it looks like).

I agree it was easier to see new posts before.
Frumius

Postby Baak » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:03 pm

PM notifications should now come from forum@orderofhpak.com -- thanks to Frumius for testing 8)
Baak

Postby Frumius » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:32 pm

You're welcome.

Say, I've noticed that the collection of links at the top of the page doesn't include the Forums:

Battle Plan · Downloads · House Rules · RDF · UGR · Members
Starter Guide · Mything.org · Films · Private · Archives
MariusNet [P/G] · The Tain · Magma · Creation · Links

I noticed because that's generally where I want to get back to if I'm anywhere else on the site. I noticed it checking PM's a few days ago, and couldn't get back to the forums!
Frumius

Postby Baak » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 am

The current style template limits the width of those menus more than just visually - if it gets any wider it starts to wrap in evil ways. It's too involved for me to tweak to put in all the links at this point, but it's on "the list".

In the meantime there are two ways to get back to the forums index:

(1) Click "Board Index" just under the OoH image at the top.

(2) Click the OoH image at the top. This one's been a hidden link for quite some time. :)
Baak

Next

Return to OoH News/Feedback/Support