For the old D&D players

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

For the old D&D players

Postby Two Saks » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:00 pm

The D&D co-creator has gone on to the next level. Oh the hours spent keeling wandering monsters or figuring out how to cross a bottomless chasm with only 10 ft of rope, a waining torch and gold pieces on the other side...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080304/ap_en_ot/obit_gygax
Two Saks

OoH Founding Member<br />3000 Club

Postby Baak » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Sad news. Thanks, Gary, for some amazing gaming! :D

Ah, the days of lead figures and wooden matches (preferably black with orange tips) to map out the dungeons...

I've still got my old boxed set and Advanced D&D books (sadly mangled the one time I lent them out), though I haven't looked at them for years. Tunnels & Trolls and Monsters! Monsters! et al are right there too (different company, but same stuff).

In fact, a few weeks ago I went on a nostalgia hunt to track down all the board games and wargames (hex) I could remember ever playing. Managed to find them all, which was cool, including the ones obtained from a brief subscription to "Strategy & Tactics" magazine. Dang, those games were great!

In the process of doing that I began to wonder whatever happened to wargames in general (heh) and why they vanished. I didn't think it was just technology (i.e. computers) since so many computer games wouldn't hold a candle to them, and I came across this article. Interesting for thos who once were into them:

http://www.costik.com/spisins.html
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby vinylrake » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:54 am

Baak Wrote:Sad news. Thanks, Gary, for some amazing gaming! :D[

Aye.

In the category of bygone games still clinging to life - I was talking to Zertigo the other day and found out he is long-distance GMing a game of GammaQuest for some sibs and nieces/nephews. (basically an email play by mail)
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Return to Gabber's Corner