Mything.org down for undetermined period of time

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Mything.org down for undetermined period of time

Postby vinylrake » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:28 am

due to my webhost having major hardware issues Mything.org is down.

I know hard drives fail occassionally and stuff happens but 8 of siute5's servers have had 'service disruptions' in the past day. Doesn't that seem like a lot or problems? The server mything.org is hosted on had a primary hard drive failure yesterday midday, now they are reporting issues with the secondary drive as well. No estimate of when the server or mything.org will be back online.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:06 pm

good lord! :shock:

Yeah, I really like them when they're up and running, which seems to be most of the time these days, but when they're having problems it s00ks.

Problem is, this seems to be an almost universal things with web hosts. :?

If anyone knows of an alternative - and has experience with them - please let us all know.
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby vinylrake » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:13 pm

agreed baak. everything was back up by late afternoon yesterday and the backups appear to have been quite recent (the night before at least) but over 24 hours downtime for a HD crash?

I dunno, to tell you the truth I've been a little suspicious since they've been offering REALLY low rates if you pay for your hosting in FIVE YEAR blocks. yeesh.

I mean I like site5 and all, 5 years? That's as long as a 1st offense for a felony, or about as long a bad marriage between procrastinators.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:42 pm

I hear ya. I've been searching for alternatives forever, but based on reviews I have yet to find anything.

What I notice is that most of the time everything is great, but then there are periods where things are not so great, and it becomes a hassle. Seems to me like someone is using more resources than they should and are not being policed properly (like someone hogging the SQL servers, etc.).

Then there's the experience Project Magma had with bluehost - which was supposed to be a good host - they were down for how many days with absolutely no end in sight? And then bluehost lost a major chunk of the site's files? Aieeee! Backup! Backup! Backup!
Baak

Postby Pyro » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:37 pm

Yeah, BlueHost didn't even have backups for Magma/Tain. So when it went down, whoever at magma is in charge of that was waiting for BH to get things running again. Eventually they found out there was no backup from BH even though they are suppose to have backups. BH told them it was a curtesy and not required. So magma had to upload whatever old backup they had.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby Baak » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Pyro Wrote:BH told them it was a curtesy and not required. So magma had to upload whatever old backup they had.

That is truly evil. No excuse for the web hosting company not having a backup these days.
Baak

Postby The Elfoid_TFS » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:37 pm

The Myth community is now in tatters.
The Elfoid_TFS

OoH Special Guest

Postby Baak » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:18 am

The Elfoid_TFS Wrote:The Myth community is now in tatters.

To me it seems more like a giant traveling stage show slash circus slash carnival. Like a big Gypsy Wagon full of gamers.

All a bit tattered but resilient and tough as nails. ;)
Baak

Return to Gabber's Corner