Shiver's Turn - RC9c

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Postby Pyro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:06 pm

I would like to set the record straight, all these bugs were created by the unit trading script that was added. Which broke most of the other scripts. Seems in my frenzy of intense clicking to get it fixed and released to remove faulty versions, I overlooked 8 lines of script. The bug only happens to players that are one of 4 specific teams and you try to select another team that is taken. The problem was so small, it took less than a minute to fix. Now I think to myself, should I release it now... now that I am without a doubt sure it is fixed for good. My head hurts.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby Baak » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:33 am

Pyro Wrote:I would like to set the record straight, all these bugs were created by the unit trading script that was added. Which broke most of the other scripts. Seems in my frenzy of intense clicking to get it fixed and released to remove faulty versions, I overlooked 8 lines of script. The bug only happens to players that are one of 4 specific teams and you try to select another team that is taken. The problem was so small, it took less than a minute to fix. Now I think to myself, should I release it now... now that I am without a doubt sure it is fixed for good. My head hurts.

I've definitely been there - with StoneHeart RDF. The scripting in that gets really complex, and once I started adding in the Anywhere plugins there were a bunch of additional things that needed tweaking.

If it were me - and you feel this close to it being right for the beta - I'd go through the scripting once or twice more and mentally confirm that it does what you think it should do. Obviously the proof comes only when playing it, but that's why it's a beta.

And don't worry about the link on the OoH site - it got up to about 12% of the d/l's at The Tain (which is still quite a few), but I can always link it directly to the entry on The Tain until it gets a bit more "stable". ;)
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby Pyro » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:25 am

Hehe, yea actually it WAS stable but then after I moved some invisible units to a new location, the order of unit types you see in the unit trading window was different for 4 teams. So I went into the unit placing thingy and switched those 2 unit types for those 4 teams. Which in the end broke the script in just 8 lines. So I did them right, but I forgot to go back and place the new monsters into the monster identifiers.

Just to give you an idea, the 8 team map has 672 map actions. Of course some of them are blanks to keep things more organized, and I have a small script that isn't activated in there. That script which I want to work on some more before it can have a chance to be part of the map is a test that looks for the netgame ball. If its in a map edge where units can't get to, then it moves an invisble unit in there and kills it. The unit lets out a blast that is meant to move the ball to a new location. But it had issues and therefore did not work all the time.

The Unit Trading script alone was 270 map actions long, with no blanks included in that number. The only upside to these UT script related bugs was that I was able to include other fixes and tweaks that were too minor to make a new release so quickly.

And so I present you... for the last time until whoever knows when... I promise it wont be this month... Shiver's Turn rc9c.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby vinylrake » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:32 pm

hey, i think i just found a bug.....

just kidding.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:49 pm

lol VR! I keel u...

I'll leave the external link on the BP until Fri night and/or Sat morning jic... ;)

Yeah, those pesky map actions. I ended up writing several Perl and then PHP scripts to manage the ones for SHRDF (nine maps having very similar yet different actions). They have something like 575 map actions in each (they're each 6100+ lines long). It was crazy.

Funny, I made a "ball blaster" projectile for Triskelion back in the day that did a nifty quick blast every 20 seconds meant to dislodge any balls up in the hills along the edge of the map. Its blast didn't hurt monsters (an essential) - it was invisible - and pretty darn neat. I've probably got it lying around somewhere if you want to check it out sometime.

You could have some kind of map action fire off every so often that checks for the ball being within a given set of zones and then move it to mid or something (kinda like Fetchball). Personally I like the blaster, since it adds the random factor of the blast (i.e. it might blast up against the walls and shoot the ball a certain way). I also made their firing times "stagger" so they wouldn't constantly overlap and you could put a bunch of them around.

Just looked them up. Build them the Summer of 2003. Dang.
Baak

Postby Baak » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:56 am

I've added Shiver's Turn rc9c to the BP. Also added is a 7-Zip (it's the link under the ".7z MB" column. Not much smaller but what the heck.

I don't know what Mac software is recommended to open .7z files. I use 7-Zip (the link is at the top of the BP) on the PC.
Baak

Previous

Return to Gabber's Corner