2.0 USB or not 2.0 USB, that is the question...whether tis..

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

2.0 USB or not 2.0 USB, that is the question...whether tis..

Postby vinylrake » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:48 pm

fyi: You would be amazed how much faster USB 2.0 is than 1.0.

My old Mac only had 1.0 onboard but I needed additional storage a few months ago so being the cheap illegitimate child that I am I picked up an external USB 2.0 hard drive (good $ just before CompUSA packed up and left for alpha centauri). I figured..."Well, USB 2.0 devices are compatible with 1.0 - they just have a slower data transfer rate so that's better than nothing...how bad can it be?" hint: REAL bad.

I've been consolidating and organizing all my Myth files on the new HD and had gotten used to waiting whenever I was copying more than a few MB, but I just installed a USB 2.0 card in my comp and sweet holy mother of Cthulu the data is FLYING through that little USB cable! I did a time test before installing to check speed. Here's what I found.

Resorting a folder with 3000+ files in it.
1.o : 15 seconds
2.0 : Instantaneous

Copying a 100+ MB zip file from the external HD to the internal HD
1.0 : 2+ minuts
2.0 : 8 seconds.

wowzer.

btw: That 3000+ item folder isn't completely duplicate free, and there are probably 30% of the items in both zipped and unzipped format (duplicates), but that's my collection of Myth 2 MAPS. (not plugins, not films, not scenery, not units, JUST MAPS). :)
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Frumius » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:17 pm

USB 2.0 card?

Dang, I was hoping it was going to turn into the story of your new computer!
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby sillek » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:18 pm

My computer only has USB 1.1
It sucks.
I don't think I can install a usb card into an imac.

Actually, my internal hd is 100% dead.
sillek

OoH Member

Postby vinylrake » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:03 am

Frumius Wrote:USB 2.0 card?

Dang, I was hoping it was going to turn into the story of your new computer!

heck with a new keyboard (yeah! no more erratic keys! I can turn my unit formations!) and the USB 2.0 card moving data around at lightning (comparatively) speeds, it practically FEELS like a new machine.

besides, any new machine I get will no doubt be a windows machine. I've had macs since 1985 and while I once championed them as easy to use, more stable, more fun, more useful, etc. I've seen the writing on the wall. It's obvious that this whole Apple 'thing' trying to turn computers into a fun brand is a silly fad whose time is almost up.

sill. if you are looking for external HD storage - firewire would be your only fast option.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Frumius » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:40 am

vinylrake Wrote:I've seen the writing on the wall.

I think the writing on the wall is about Windows dominance crumbling. My next computer will certainly be Mac.

Since I work part-time selling Macs, I see tons of people switching to them. The customer response is overwhelmingly, hugely, and totally positive. People literally gush that they should have made the switch sooner. And you're goin' the other way!
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby Pyro » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:47 am

HA! Windows is probably still gaining more than its losing. While I hate to be on a side that is pretty much a monopoly, MS's true and only rival that could one day be its downfall would be some legally free OS. Even, then it might not be enough. I can't see why people claim that the Mac is easier to use, it reminds me of this comic.
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby Baak » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:55 am

There are things about both that I really like, and things about both that I really dislike; just like I really like and dislike things about Unix/Linux.

What I want is the ability to combine all the things I like from all of them, remove all the crap, and be able to upgrade forever for free.

I've been running Win2K Pro and WinXP Pro for the past eight years and really like it - once you remove all the crap and tune the system the way you like it. I wouldn't do Vista for free.

I'll probably get a Mac and run XP on top of it once I need to upgrade my laptop again. I think XP may well be the pinnacle of Windows O/S'es - again, only when you trim out the crap.

And then 99% of the software I run on XP is not by M$.
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Return to Gabber's Corner