Greetings and Salutations

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Greetings and Salutations

Postby Kernel Corn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:11 pm

The ground shakes, the air quivers with electricity, the internet tubes are once again flowing with Myth traffic. Eager to ride the wave, I've resurfaced, hunting once more to find those who would lay waste to my pathetic attempts at gaming, listen to my paltry excuses, and occasionally tolerate my deplorable attempts at humor.

I would join this merry band as a guest ('special' only by abusing the pejorative sense) if you would have me.

And now a few words of introduction.

My gaming adventures began, oddly enough, with a game called ADVENTURE. Yep, text adventures, before the PC revolution. So when I quip that I'm old enough to be your Dad, I probably am. My friends and I proceed to hack the FORTRAN source code of this new game called Zork and turn it into a multiplayer game on the mainframe. Ah, those were heady days of BBS's with 1200bps modems.

Sometime later I purchased Myth and with the help of dial-up Internet access, was sucked into this incredible world. After my patience, humor, and stoic resistance to taking the game seriously revealed itself, was invited into an early group calling itself the Muirthemne Militia.

It was a bit of a tumultuous group, to put it mildly. Because orders and buddy lists were limited, order membership became a tool the that clan leaders used to keep track of their most recent recruits and friends. Ah, such is the way of things sometimes, and I found myself back on the street.

Sometime after that I was recruited by a fine player named Capt Carrot to join his group called V8. Almost identical in basic attitude, we became good friends and teammates. Joining the clan I took a new name that you see now, Kernel Corn, a.k.a, 'KC', as we are almost all word play names on vegetables. Perhaps you might recall playing some games with Mr Bean, Vegemite, or later with those more widely known such as Jungle Pickle, Salad Fax, Darth Vegan, or Anngaricus. Enough name dropping.

Ever since I upgraded from dial-up to broadband, I had been hosting open Myth games on "V8 Night" which I think were quite a hit. I always did my best to host strange combinations of maps and options that kept the nights lively and fun.

As Myth playing was falling out of favor and we were seeking others that could share our bonds of friendship, honor, and adventure, we joined our clan to a super clan named The Empire, a.k.a., Imperium. V8 Night exploded with more friends and good times than I can count. I kept up the schedule as best I could, moving from Monday's to Wednesday's during football season for example, to make sure everyone had a chance to be together.

Over time, real life came crashing down, and gradually I began dropping the ball. Frumious picked it up and carried it for a long time, and to that I say thank you Frum! OK, ok, enough name dropping.

A long outage with our forum hosting, generously provided to us by Elric, seems to have reawakened our humble group, myself in particular, to dust off the installers, download the patches and plugins, seek out our old friends and make new ones, and see if making one night a week isn't too onerous.

I've attempted to keep this introduction brief, and yet I should warn that if we perchance come to blows on some blind venice or mudpit massacre map, you'll find my presence much shorter.

Your humble gamer, and remind me to make a signature picture with a black background,

KC

Kernel Corn

OoH Special Guest

Postby Baak » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 pm

You got my vote as soon as I read "ADVENTURE" and writing games on a mainframe!

I'm seconds from sleep, so will set you up tomorrow.

Welcome aboard! :D
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby vinylrake » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:02 am

It's been a long time and as my grey matter decays it's harder to remember exactly what my attackers looked like (plus the mind tries to suppress traumatic experiences), but on more than one occasion I have had the pleasure of being slaughtered by V8ers - including this nefarious fellow trying to pass himself off as a nice regular guy (aka Kernel Corn).

fwiw, I most heartily endorse KC, in his case not just because he was the lead singer of the Sunshine Band, but because out of all the Myth groups/associations/orders I've played with over the years, I found any members of V8 I ran into to be among the most consistently fun and decent (and civil) peeps on the Myth game servers (KC included). So - live up to those expectations if you dare KC!

um..., Baak already recommended KC, So I guess following protocol I should second the motion?> Feel free to cut and paste this into the secret thread where we swap naked photos of special guest applicants and make fun of their 8-track tape selection.

btw, Another plus for V8ers is that they have their own slogans and thematic names which as one of the former members of the thematically named Clan Ramone order (motto: "Gabba Gabba Slay!"), I envy. Baak, can we start using thematic names? Here's how it could breakdown.

B'OoH : Baak
Tw'OoH: Two Saks
N'OoH: Nokilli
H'OoH: Hedgesnake
V'OoH: Vinylrake (slogan "Voulez-V'OoHs coucher avec moi ce soir")
C'OoH: CobraKid
Qu'OoH: Queso
F'OoH: Frumius (slogan :"I pity the FooH...")
HG'OoH: Hungrosity
M'OoHT: Monster Tool
Mi'OoH: Miltiades
G'OoH: Global Killer
Nk'OoH: Nkaome
S'OoH: Sillek
L'OoH: Lank
Z'OoH: Zaknafein
P'OoH: Pyro
D'OoH: Duffiek
Sk'OoH: Skarg

ps. KC, this may be one of the only orders where you aren't the oldest member. You are no doubt old enough to be the parent of several members - a couple members here are actual fathers of other members, but some of our members (like Baak and Two Saks) are quite advanced in years.

pps. KC - I tried to write up the recommendation like we agreed, if you want to make any edits let me know, I'll wait till you have wire transferred your 'donation' to my 'charity' before I post this officially.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Frumius » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:15 am

Well, I guess we don't need my ringing endorsement, but here it is nonetheless: I ringingly endorse Kernel Corn! Man, I'm glad you came over, KC! Who0T!

Now I hope Cypher and bryce show up to post. Those are the other two Imps who have gotten Synched Up with the Battle Plan and hopefully will post here before it's too late for SAturday's fun.
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby Baak » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:32 am

KC: I've updated your status to Special Guest, which means you now have access to additional forums and the Special Guest Instructions. Everything's in there (probably a tad terse, but it's a lot easier than all of us shooting information at you left and right). Let us know if you have any questions.

I'm going to leave this thread here for the time being, so as to alert Frum's other candidates to how things are done.

Looking forward to playing with you, KC! :nubb_evil:

Just for the heck of it I dug out a list of V8 maps I have buried in my plugin archive - thought you might get a kick out of it:

Island of the Pickle v1.1
Razing the Pickle v1.1
Rooting Grounds
Vegetable Smoothie v1.1
Winter Wonderland v1.1
Baak

Postby Frumius » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:12 pm

Hey, KC and Cypher, make sure to check any new posts in the "BattlePlan Updates" forum below this one. Sometimes a map will be added to the BattlePlan; it'll be announced in that thread if/when that happens. If one gets added any given week, we're almost sure to play it a bit that week. I'll post this in Cypher's thread, too.
Frumius

Postby Baak » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:57 am

Frumius Wrote:Hey, KC and Cypher, make sure to check any new posts in the "BattlePlan Updates" forum below this one. Sometimes a map will be added to the BattlePlan; it'll be announced in that thread if/when that happens. If one gets added any given week, we're almost sure to play it a bit that week. I'll post this in Cypher's thread, too.

It's all in the Special Guest Instructions -- I put it there so we wouldn't have to repeat things or repeat things repeatedly. ;)

Also: there is no BP Update this week to make things easier. :)
Baak

Postby Frumius » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:40 am

Baak Wrote:lso: there is no BP Update this week to make things easier. :)

Wait! Isn't that already in the BattlePlan thread?

hah!
Frumius

Postby Baak » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Frumius Wrote:
Baak Wrote:lso: there is no BP Update this week to make things easier. :)

Wait! Isn't that already in the BattlePlan thread?

hah!

:funny to me:
Baak

Postby Kernel Corn » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Well, I dare say, that's was outstanding! Thank you!

KC
Kernel Corn

OoH Special Guest

Next

Return to Gabber's Corner