Guild Wars

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Guild Wars

Postby SgtRogers » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:22 pm

I was wondering if anyone over here has started playing Guild Wars? We've been playing for awhile at The Package, if you'd ever like to get together and play some games, I'll direct you to our screen name thread so you can find us in game. 8)

http://www.the-package.net/modules.php? ... opic&t=224
SgtRogers

Postby Baak » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:40 pm

Wow - looks pretty interesting if this is the same game:
http://www.guildwars.com/

What's it all about in a nutshell? :)
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby SgtRogers » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:43 pm

Well, it's a mmorpg like World of Warcraft or Star Wars. You create your own characte from 6 different professions (Elementalist, Memser, Monk, Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior). You choose a primary profession then a secondary. Then you go out and kill monsters to level up all the while progressing through the storyline of the game. Guild Wars is more focused towards player vs. player combat, there's lot of stuff to do with that, similar to Myth in that respect actually. And, unlike WoW or Star Wars, there is no monthly fee, which is simply awesome.

So that's Guild Wars in a nutshell for ya. 8)
SgtRogers

Postby Baak » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:53 pm

Yowza - I really like the idea of no monthly fee! That's the primary thing that has been keeping me from looking into WoW.

So you just purchase the game itself and go from there? Sweet.

The other thing currently stopping me from WoW and others is that I have yet to make the transition to broadband. Is it a good idea to have for GW? I would assume so... ;)
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby Monstertool » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:57 pm

yah i've been playing guild wars, it totally rocks. my charachter i've been playing is a Ranger-Elementalist. right now he's level 13 1/2. so much fun. i figured i'd get something new for my new computer and i got that since it seems to be the rage right now, and for good reason too.
Monstertool

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby vinylrake » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:21 am

If the government imposes a single-computer-platform law and we in the US are restricted to only owning Windows computers I'll be sure to check out Guild Wars.

ps. It does look cool. Just not "Buy a reasonably fast Windows computer with a good graphics card" cool. :(

pps. Interesting pricing model they have going. Buy the game for a one-time cost, then you get free online access, but to play on the new "maps" (e.g. new areas of the land) or use new items/characters the company releases you have to purchase the "chapters" as they are released. You can continue to play the game in geographical areas all players you are playing with have in common, you just can't go to the new "lands". heh. It's not exactly the same thing, but imagine how much we would have spent if we had to pay for all the 3rd party myth maps we've played on?
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby SgtRogers » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Monstertool Wrote:yah i've been playing guild wars, it totally rocks. my charachter i've been playing is a Ranger-Elementalist. right now he's level 13 1/2. so much fun. i figured i'd get something new for my new computer and i got that since it seems to be the rage right now, and for good reason too.

What's your in-game name?
SgtRogers

Postby Monstertool » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:33 pm

my in game name is Monster Tool
Monstertool

Postby vinylrake » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:18 pm

Monstertool Wrote:my in game name is Monster Tool

Ah, subtle. MT grasshopper, truly you have learned the ways of the ninja - who else but a master of the secret arts would think of hiding in plain sight.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Monstertool » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:42 pm

haha guild wars is really a cool game, you can really do anything with your charachter, people thought my charachter was funny because his main profession is a ranger, so he has an animal companion that i named furball. its sorta like a mountain lion looking cat type beast. but my ranger is a retard when it comes to using a bow, because i didnt' give him any points in markmanship, his secondary profession is an elementalist and i specialized him in fire magic, so instead of a bow he uses a firewand and just blasts fireballs and attacks with fire magic, and it seems to work really well surprisingly enough, there's just so much flexibility when it comes to charachter creation, its awesome, the charachter classes are all so balanced, like everyone uses all sorts of different charachters, there aren't really any people in there that use a lot of a certain type, its a great mix. the 4 vs 4 arena battles are a blast too, usually the fights last about three or four minutes. its a real fight to de det. oh and the guild wars world is insanely big, i've played it a lot the last couple of weeks, and barely even exlploed even a fraction of the world.
Monstertool

Next

Return to Gabber's Corner