Hello

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Hello

Postby sillek » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:34 pm

I've seen you guys playing alone in unranked a lot on third party plugins. I myself am sick to death of the same boring maps and have been trying to find people that play maps for awhile now. The only problem is, your games are always passworded. Your "House Rules" mention something about "special guests." Do you still allow unknown people to play, or are the house rules old and not updated ? I am going to sync my plugins folder with your maplist, so I will have everything you play. I'd be interested in playing some games with you guys. I am usually quiet so I should not say anything rude or "ranked player"-like.

Well, let me know. Thanks !
sillek

OoH Member

Postby sillek » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:54 pm

Anyone ?
sillek

OoH Member

Postby Baak » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:09 pm

Hey sillek!

For some reason I didn't catch this thread the past few days - DOH! #-o

I've been tweaking the forums a lot (they haven't really been announced publicly too much yet) so it wasn't until your second post that it grabbed my attention.

We've been somewhat swamped with players recently, but I'd be happy to have you join in with us this next Saturday as a Special Guest. :)

I'll email you the details shortly.
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Special Guests

Postby vinylrake » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:41 pm

Hey sillek,

Sorry you didn't get a reply sooner - I saw your request a couple of days ago and just assumed Baak was slacking off. again. I would have replied myself but the last time I tried to invite someone in Baak thought I was trying to stage a coup and the next morning I found some dwarven looking bottles with rags stuffed in the ends scattered all around my car. Fortunately it was raining that day so either none of them ignited, or Baak left the bottles as a warning, but either way I got the message.

vr

ps. Baak - We've been "swamped" with players? Now there's some appealing imagery. Who you calling swampy?

"swamped with players" to me sounds like we have are being besieged with so many unknown players we are turning them away at the door because we've reached the 16 player myth game server limit and that's the only way to ensure all the active OoH members can play. I mean really, how many times has that happened? Ok, I mean _recently_? Granted if all our active and inactive members and special guests showed up we would have a problem, but we can always burn that bridge when we get to it.

That said, we have been having some great turnouts of late and some almost full houses, lots of fun games with old and new friends.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby sillek » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:53 pm

That said, we have been having some great turnouts of late and some almost full houses, lots of fun games with old and new friends.

Sounds like fun.
sillek

OoH Member

mmmm cookies

Postby Miltiades » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:28 pm

Hey Sillek,

Just in case Baak forgot to tell you in the email, special guests are obliged to bring cookies and snacks for everyone. When Baak says we're swamped with players, what he means is that he couldn't eat all the cookies from the special guests we have already. But I can always eat more cookies, so join the fun!

Also, if anyone suggests we play a game of 'steal the bacon', it's considered normal for everyone to shout him down. Don't be afraid to yell "BOO" in the loudest text you can manage no matter who suggests stb. I mean, really, who plays stb anyways? :)

milt
Miltiades

OoH Member<br />1000 Club

Postby Baak » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:01 pm

Actually... considering the gigantic pile of cookies already on my desk (and the dozen or so scones I still have in the freezer from Hawksy), it might just be best to bring along a huge platter of fresh, steaming hot scrambled eggs with about 15 pieces of buttered toast to go with the 25 pounds of bacon we'll be serving up on Saturday night... :badgrin:

:-$ Milt's just jealous 'cause he never gets to steal it! ;)
Baak

Milt: The Other White Meat

Postby vinylrake » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:29 pm

Sillek,

Just in case things weren't entirely clear from Milt and Baak's posts - Milt has a pathological fear of bacon and all things pork related. If you so much as suggest having a BLT for dinner he will start convulsing and frothing at the mouth. That's why we save up all our bacon games for when Milt is present, one less opponent means better odds of one of the rest of us winning. I would recommend choosing Steal the Bacon games as often as you possibly can when Milt is around, when he's not don't pick bacon since the rest of us don't really like bacon games anyways, we just say we do to annoy Milt.

Also, just as an fyi, Baak has a similar reaction to deathmatch games - actually several other members of OoH have an aversion to deathmatch games, but Baak's is the strongest. So, to get baak out of contention choose deathmatch games whenever you can. If you want to mix things up a bit choose really insane combinations like "Capture the Flag - Deathmatch", "Stampede Deathmatch" or "Body Count Deathmatch".

If you really want to knock a lot of people out of their comfy chairs choose something like "Steal the Bacon, Deathmatch" - preferably a 15min+ game really late in the night. Contrary to popular opinion those kind of games can really be a lot of fun, especially if you choose Rocket Dorfs too. Last week I chose a DM STB game as my final game of the night and it was so much fun several other people quit after that too - I think they knew that that game was the most fun they could possibly have and they wanted to end on a high note.
vinylrake

Postby Baak » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:07 pm

Don't tell VR, but whenever he picks a Deathmatch game the rest of us actually set our units to cycle between their starting positions and the game goal (flag/ball, etc.) and then we go grab a snack, take a bathroom break, water the dog - whatever.

It works great! We have this unofficial contest going for who can make their units behave in the most convincing way without actually controlling them!

PLUS, sometimes you'll actually win while you've been gone! :lol: OMG this is so sweet.

The tricky part is getting back in time for the post-game chat (that's the other great thing: in Deathmatch games there's usually not much chat during the game, so VR never notices!). We've had a few close calls, but so far we've been safe.

Just be sure not to mention anything to VR!! :-$

Man, this "private messaging" thing is SO COOL!! :D
Baak

Postby vinylrake » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:04 am

Baak Wrote:Don't tell VR, but whenever he picks a Deathmatch game the rest of us actually set our units to cycle between their starting positions and the game goal (flag/ball, etc.) and then we go grab a snack, take a bathroom break, water the dog - whatever.

Aha! So that explains why I always win DM? I mean I know I pwn you guyz when we play Deathmatch, but I was thinking that even with my mad l337 skilz I shouldn't be winning every single game.
vinylrake

Next

Return to Gabber's Corner