Monstertool on Ebay

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Postby Monstertool » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:25 pm

well actually i think its like 8.50 or 8.75 now. its just been so long since i actually went to movies like reguarly, like that girl i went to see this past weekend, she loves going to the movies, and in her town they have a really decent $1 theatre, where they show movies i guess right before they come out on DVD, its actually clean inside, no sticky floors. we saw the 40 year old virgin. haha sooo funny. i've never seen so much crude humor in my life. like at one point the girl i was with started choking on her drink, she was laughing so hard.
Monstertool

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby Baak » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:22 pm

Don't even get me started on "product placement" in movies - I remember seeing Minority Report (which I thought was so-so) on DVD when they had this huge (from the perspective of the movie) electronic billboard of Aquafina water along the motorway.

Yeah right, the logo won't change by 2075 (or whatever year it was) and people will definitely still be drinking Aquafina by then... Beyond tacky. What's funny is for me it makes me think much less of a company when they do something like this - it cheapens them in my perspective. A type of negative advertising.

What irks me about the ads on TV is: I definitely understand they use ads to pay for TV *when it's broadcast and picked up on antennas* (probably before your time MT! ;) ) - but the thing is, we were paying almost $40/month to watch it! It's like paying twice.

The only stuff we were watching when we last gave it up were Turner Classic Movies, BBC America (which only occasionally shows new stuff), and reruns of Perry Mason (some great shows) - seriously. We'd get PBS but had to pay an extra $6/month for "local channels" which included NBC,CBS,ABC none of which we watch.

I can *definitely* see where sports fans would want to stay plugged in, there are so many sports channels on the satelitte it's insane - like 50 channels if you got them all. Probably $100+/month though!

What I *really* want is to be able to pay for only the specific channels we want - like the ones I listed above - for $9.95/month - $1.95/month per channel or whatever. I'd be happy with that as long as TCM remains commercial-free (American Movie Classics went commercial a few years back unfortunately..).

Oh, and we used to watch the Weather Channel until they started putting in so many ads that every single time they *cutoff* the weather person before they finish doing the weather! The music starts - they speed up - and do the entire West (everything west of the Mississippi) in 8 seconds. And they have a corporate logo ad on the map of the USA, and they do Storm Stories ads every few minutes and repeat them all the time, and they have 90% drug ads, etc., etc. It became The Ad Channel with a few annoying breaks to show the weather...

Like I said - don't even get me started! ;)
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Previous

Return to Gabber's Corner