Hello

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Hello

Postby Lawton » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:41 am

Hi, I was wanted to introduce myself, I was on the server today and BaaK just recruited me. I just bought Myth Total Codex a few days ago and have replaced most of my other strategy gaming with it. Any ideas about how to get up to speed would be welcome if you can point to any good strategy guides. I'm in the process of reading the the guide that came with Total Codex from gamers.com, so I'd be interested in any feedback or opinions you might have about it or any other guides. Anyway, I hope you don't mind a little noobishness, but I'm a quick study with strategy games usually. BaaK said you're a cool group and I look forward to meeting you.
Lawton

OoH Special Guest

Postby The Elfoid_TFS » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:30 am

My number one tip is avoid that Order of H'Pak group. I don't know who they are, but they seem pretty evil.
The Elfoid_TFS

OoH Special Guest

Re: Hello

Postby Frumius » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:13 am

Lawton Wrote:BaaK said you're a cool group and I look forward to meeting you.
Of course Baak would say that; he's one of us!

I believe you and I played together the other day as well, Lawton. I had a couple new players in my game and remember giving advice left and right. Wasn't it you who left a good pus behind on the map "I'll Dance on your Grave?" And I told you about it and came over with a ghol to point it out and you killed my ghol? Lol.

Anyway, welcome to Myth.

As for strategy, who needs it? Here's mine: stay alive, stay alive, stay alive, then win at the end. It dosn't work, but I use it. Which 'splains my almost 9 years of newbishness (9, right? TFL came out in '97, right?)
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby Tireces » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:07 am

Welcome 2 Myth Lawton.
Good 2 know that ppl still fall in love with this game ;)
GGs today. Cya on pm.net or marius.net.

P.S. Baak, The Nine r always up 4 some friendly OM. Time diffirence can be a small problem but it will not gonna stop us :D
Tireces

Postby Baak » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:42 pm

Lawton Wrote:I'm in the process of reading the the guide that came with Total Codex from gamers.com, so I'd be interested in any feedback or opinions you might have about it or any other guides.

Personally, I think that's a great guide - I just have to remember to use it!

We're basically intermediate to intermediate+ overall, and are constantly learning new stuff ourselves. Just keep bathing Frum in Pus and you'll do just fine. ;)

I created a very basic "Unit Guide" about a million years ago for our newbie players - never completed it beyond the standard units and it's not 100% comprehensive, but there are some useful tidbits hiding in there and they're all in one place (this was my original motivation): Baak's Quick Myth II Unit Guide

I also created some basic guides for our newbies after going over the same material several times - they're hiding in our Hall of Records - lower-middle - with titles such as "The Basics", "Formations", and "The Little Things" - as either Word Doc or PDF files. You may find something useful in there as well.

Vinylrake is a virtual encyclopedia of Myth Goodness and will likely have additional tomes for your perusal...

Tireces Wrote:P.S. Baak, The Nine r always up 4 some friendly OM. Time diffirence can be a small problem but it will not gonna stop us

I think it's a great idea! Glad we had a chance to at least see each other "live" for a minute or two last night. We'll bat around some details here and pass them by you once we're organized.

You're GMT+1, correct? The OoH currently span GMT-8 to GMT-5, so we'd probably have to do Saturday 11am to 1pm here to match you on Saturday night - or you'd have to be up early Sunday morning to play against us on a Saturday night. :)
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby The Elfoid_TFS » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:32 pm

TFS is too weak to OM atm, but in MWC season maybe, once Doug and Sky are back. We'll show IX and OoH who's boss then.
The Elfoid_TFS

OoH Special Guest

Postby vinylrake » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:18 pm

Hey Lawton, welcome to the world of Myth!

I would say you are on the right track in that you have replaced your other stragegy gaming with Myth - I long ago deleted all the other games from my computer once I discovered Myth. Currently I have no other software at all on my computer except Myth, the Operating System, an ftp program so I can download myth maps, and a web browser so I can talk about Myth on forums like this. I used to have things like spreadsheets and wordprocessers but I've found that those programs were distracting me, and using up valuable time I could have been playing Myth.

Seriously though, welcome - the Myth 2 Strategy guide is a good overall guide, definitely a good place to start. Playing the solo levels is good practice on finding out different units' strengths and weaknesses.

I hesitate to mention it since it might be information overload, (but since Baak already alluded to it) there are a lot of strategy guides, tips, etc at The Myth Graveyard. Since you already have the Myth 2 Strategy Guide which is kind of the 7 course meal of how to play Myth, you don't really need any other all-inclusive guides - but you might find some of the articles in the Strategy and "Strategy - Units" sections of the Myth Graveyard useful. I sometimes get overwhelmed by the amount of info in the M2 Strategy guide - the articles in the graveyard are generally more bite sized easily digestible chunks of info.

Look forward to playing some myth with you one of these days soon - if you have any questions or are looking for any specific info / articles or dead websites, just drop me a line.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Return to Gabber's Corner