Ideas for new maps/plugins

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Ideas for new maps/plugins

Postby vinylrake » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:03 pm

I think it would be kewl to have a new map for Myth where the battle is to protect (or destroy, depending on which side you play) a large forest. The new units would be archers and evil fire dorfs. The archers would shoot fire arrows and the fire dorfs would throw campfires to light the forest, and SmokeyTheBlighter and his friends the exploding deer and the water pathfinders would have to try to put the fires out before the forest got all burned up. SmokeyTheBlighter would have a squirt gun attack with a special attack like a firehose (that would have to recharge like a warlock blast). The exploding deer would gush it's guts all over the fire helping to put it out, and the water pathfinders would throw bottles of water that break on impact and also have a T signal flare attack which would signal the dorfs in the zeppelins overhead to drop bags of water which would break on impact putting out the fire).

Thoughts? Suggestions?
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Frumius » Sun May 15, 2005 11:03 pm

Just found this thread. Interesting idea.
There could be Loggers who chainsaw the forests, and a few Earth First!ers who can each climb a tree to protect that tree and a few surrounding trees from any sort of harm. A few Ent/ForestGiants could lead a counter-attack force of walking trees (thinking LOTR, here). My thinking is that the forest needs some kind of aggressive defense (simply as opposed to passive defense) power to defend itself.

I live in the thick of timber vs environmental issues here in Humboldt with the Redwood, Douglas-fir, Sitka Spruce forests all over the place, along with many other species of course. Julia Butterfly, if you've heard of her, did a tree sit for over 2 years half an hour from here. She's a cutie, too. ;)
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby vinylrake » Mon May 16, 2005 6:27 am

Frum, good thoughts - there actually are some walking trees (ala Ents) in The Legend of Gor Ash solo map(s) - at least I think that's where I saw them.

You can probably tell that some of my suggestions there were a little tongue-in-cheek, but it actually could work as a concept - now all I need is motivation (and a lot more hours in the day). Actually this slightly more practical idea came from a (joke) I proposed for a non-violent myth conversion in which every player/team would be a group of (stationary) trees whose goal was to populate the map with their own species of trees. The winner is the player/team who has more of their trees growing well. Trees would have the ability to shoot spores/seeds and the wind would carry them to different parts of the map where they would grow better or worse depending on the proximity of a water source.

_If_ I were going to do a conversion of Myth I think at this point I would be leaning towards the muppet/sesame street theme.
vinylrake

Postby Two Saks » Mon May 16, 2005 10:40 am

Trees would have the ability to shoot spores/seeds and the wind would carry them to different parts of the map where they would grow better or worse depending on the proximity of a water source.

LOL! Still think it is too competitive. Sure we may not be keeling each other *directly*, but if my little seed takes all the nutrients and water which results in your little seed dying...

Can't we all just get along?

Lets have a plugins that converts units to cookies, ice cream scoops and gumdrops. We can just skip around the landscape filled with chocalate rivers and caramal waterfalls, mountains of rainbow sprinkles, rolling our treats in what we discover. In so, we can create our own delicious confections!!! And when it's "game over" we SHARE what we make exactly evenly.

Actually VR, it is a cool idea. But I'm a bit biased because I love things forest/nature related. Maybe the forest also has firefighters to help put out the flames? So the sides are:

Forest:

Tree that pollonate and spread
Agry Ents
Firefighters who put out flames

I recall a more extreme environmental group (may have been Earth first?) that was indited for having some pipe bombs in their van.

Maybe they can be the equivalant of wights, moving around in old VW vans that blow up when you hit "T"?

Ok now, the Loggers:

Loggers with chainsaws
Slashers with drip torches
a Bulldozer that can hurl logs and fire (think treb)

that's my 5 cents.

btw Frum...you live in some nice country :)
I have a brother who used to work in the US Forest service as a firefighter and sylvaculture. He was stationed in Orleans, about 50 miles or so (?) northeast of Eureka. I would visit up there every chance I could. Loved it!!
Two Saks

OoH Founding Member<br />3000 Club

Postby vinylrake » Mon May 16, 2005 11:40 am

Two Saks Wrote:
Lets have a plugin that converts units to cookies, ice cream scoops and gumdrops. We can just skip around the landscape filled with chocalate rivers and caramal waterfalls, mountains of rainbow sprinkles, rolling our treats in what we discover. In so, we can create our own delicious confections!!! And when it's "game over" we SHARE what we make exactly evenly.

Heh... not QUITe what you are looking for, and I don't think it ever got finished, but I bring you... Chocolate Chip Chowder. btw, I did NOT make this up - you can click on the URL in the article to see the author's homepage (click on "Projects" - warning - LOTS of popups)

As for the firefighters, I agree there needs to be some kind of action the forest can take to put out malicious fires, but I like the idea of nature taking care of itself so I'd prefer something like either bloated toads full of water that squirt out copius amounts of water from some bodily orifice, or giant pelicans that act like those water scoop planes (sorry I have no idea what these are really called) that could dump large amounts of water onto burning surfaces. OR maybe water-filled wights who spray water instead of gas when they self-destruct.

The Earth Firster VW wight Van idea is a funny/good one. Maybe also a hippie unit who sabotages the bulldozers and other machinery?

btw, that bulldozer that hurls logs and fire is really scary.[/url]
vinylrake

Not directly Myth-related

Postby Hawksy » Mon May 16, 2005 12:14 pm

For those with older Macs (OS 9 or earlier), there's a cute little hex and turn based strategy solo game called Bushfire, about fighting forest fires.

Check out: http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/cgi-bin/NewSearch?key=bushfire
Hawksy

OoH Member (AFK)

Postby Two Saks » Mon May 16, 2005 12:37 pm

LOL VR!!! To bad the work was never finished, would have loved to seen Oompa Loompas scurrying about the map..

Yeah, agree that a more natural mode of forest protection is best. LOL ...giants pelicans with mouths full of water.

How about Rain clouds that move around like Airships? "T" attack is lightning. Heh, an old margarine commercial just went through my head:

"it isn't nice to fool with Mother Nature"
Two Saks

OoH Founding Member<br />3000 Club

Postby vinylrake » Thu May 19, 2005 8:40 am

Two Saks Wrote:LOL VR!!! To bad the work was never finished, would have loved to seen Oompa Loompas scurrying about the map..
I got the idea the author ("Capt Pringle", which imo is one of the best pseudonyms EVER although probably for different reasons than he intended - I think of the potato chips but I have a feeling he might have meant the historical figure) was going to just use dorfs for the oompa loompas. Now with the remake of the old Gene Wilder movie coming out with Johnny Depp I am waiting for a crossover movie in which the undead pirates come back from (un)death and track down and slaughter the annonying winners of the chocolate factory tour contest and some oompa loompas, because it turns out that one of the aztech/mayan gold pieces attached to the curse was used to make the gold foil wrapper that Willy Wonka used as winning contest markers.

Two Saks Wrote:How about Rain clouds that move around like Airships? "T" attack is lightning.

I like that a LOT, that would be very kewl - except that lightning should start fires - hmmm...maybe it could be an ice-bolt? (like the wizards in the Seventh God have).
vinylrake

Postby Baak » Thu May 19, 2005 2:22 pm

LOL! Man, I just found this thread and it's great! :D

TS: your map description had me rolling!

BTW, there is a tree unit on Bungie's "Boil and Bubble" that is very cool (it's probably on Toil and Trouble"): the "Changeling" (not the best name).

I put it on my Unit Guide, but it's in the unfinished section (scroll way down):
http://www.orderofhpak.com/BaaksUnitGuide.html

We should add this map into the BP - it's very funky. One thing I discovered with this Ent-like unit that is truly amazing - it can pick up puss and then launch it *through it's body and out the top of the hollow*!! :D
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby sillek » Thu May 19, 2005 2:42 pm

Link to the creators of the game "Bushfire" http://www.strangeflavour.com/pages/bushfire.html

The same people that created the very fun Airburst.

EDIT: probably a different game than Hawksy linked to..oh well.
sillek

OoH Member

Return to Gabber's Corner