Image update 3! Please look :) (on second page)

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Postby vinylrake » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:51 pm

Sill, didn't you know that the 'g' is silent?
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby sillek » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Last edited by sillek on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sillek

OoH Member

Postby vinylrake » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:16 pm

Um yeah, I kinda uh noticed.

I have another tricky question for you, did you know that 'lol' is a special kind of word? It's called an acronym, which means you spell it the same backwards and forwards.
vinylrake

Postby Frumius » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:06 pm

I'm dying to know what sill wrote...

vr, I think you prolly know (cuz your wit is ever-present), but an acronym isn't necessarily spelled the same frontwards as backwards. That's a palindrome.

An acronym, as we know because acrophobia is an abby normal phear of high places, means an abby normally high name.
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby vinylrake » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:21 pm

No frum you are wrong, the palindrome of lol would be 'notlob'.

And I hesitate to correct someone coming to my defense, especially since your guess was in the general ballpark; but the secondary definition of acronym is not 'an abnormally high name', but is in fact 'a horizontal cross-word clue about abnormally intelligent lab rats'.

Damn the spelling, full speed ahead!
vinylrake

Postby Frumius » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:13 am

I mentioned that this image's proportions match the Golden Rectangle's. The Golden Rectangle is a figure that has a length to width ratio of 1.618 that appears throughout nature and is supposedly the most pleasing rectangle to our eyes. It is definitely easy to look at--the rectangle, that is, fits comfortably with my eye I notice. I wonder why they don't make standard photo sizes, or negative or ccd sensor sizes, in that ratio? 4x6 (same as 35mm) is a 1.5 ratio; 8x10 is 1.25. I made this image specifically to be that ratio; I just thought, "Hey! I can have the sky go up as far as I want...let's try the Golden Rectangle! Hmm, what are the Golden Rectangle's dimensions...? I'll look it up on Wikipedia!" So I looked it up and here we are. The links I'm including are very short and interesting reads from Wikipedia, check 'em out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rectangle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_spiral

I made one other image to these proportions, completely by happenstance. Wierdly, it was the image I made right before this one, I just realized! it's called "Beleaved," and it's one of those leaf people images. You can see it from it's forum post here: http://www.orderofhpak.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=268 . Scroll down, it's the second image.
I think I'll try to make more with these dimensions--mb people will really like 'em.
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Previous

Return to Gabber's Corner