Leagues from Egypt?

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Leagues from Egypt?

Postby Two Saks » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:01 pm

Thought this was interesting...this impact crater in Egypt looks like a myth map.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... rater.html

Now I want a new "Pharoh" unit where the T attack calls down a devestating meteor shower.
Two Saks

OoH Founding Member<br />3000 Club

Postby vinylrake » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:58 am

TS, I could be hallucinating from too much Monday morning coffee because I can't find a reference to it anywhere, but I think someone once made a warlock unit that had an attack something like that - fireballs or something rained down from the sky.

[a few minutes later]
Ooh OoH! I found it! I couldn't find it before because it's not a seperate unit plugin it's on only one mesh of a map - it uses mana and summons a meteor storm similiar to the Myrkridian giant's special attack.

Now I'll have to check it out tonight.

btw: That image is a bit small for a myth map, if you could find one that's at least 768px (or larger=better) in it's shortest dimension (or square) I could try to whip up a one-off map with that crater and the meteor storm unit just for yucks.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Frumius » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:15 am

The image may be small, but the map is huuge: try hurrying 19 miles from one side of the map to the other dragging along a pack of thrall!
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby Baak » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:17 pm

There are several Egypt maps I've seen over the years including one that has some seriously funky units.

I'll dig 'em out after we return and see if one might be worth playing as the "Map Whim of the Week" ... :)
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby vinylrake » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:27 am

Baak Wrote:There are several Egypt maps I've seen over the years including one that has some seriously funky units.

since you are AFK baak, I'll start off the list:

Egypt Desert
Egypt Desert v2 (aka If I had a Pyramid)
Egyptian Solo
Old Egypt

PS. TS - The unit that called down a meteor-strike was more than a bit dissapointing. I was thinking how cool it could look, but basically it was a shade (the floaty guys in blue robes) who threw a small stone (or perhaps a mykridian giant's testicle?) and after a few seconds a bunch of those exploding myrk giant 'acorns' fell onto that spot from some distanc e overhead. Kind of like a flare-dorf satchel-strike but not as many explosions, and they didn't fall from as high a distance. Not at ALL what I was expecting.

I had some good ideas about how the unit could be made much kewler so I started hacking around and ended up accidently immasculating the unit so it's completely unusable now.

The Kebira image itself makes for a visually interesting map (not at all the usual color palette), but would need a lot of work to make it into a workable (playable) map vis-a-vis passability/terrain.
vinylrake

Postby Two Saks » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:24 pm

Thanks for checking into that VR. Raining Myrk Giant testicles isn't quite what I would have envisioned as well.

I had some good ideas about how the unit could be made much kewler so I started hacking around and ended up accidently immasculating the unit so it's completely unusable now.

LOL!!!
Two Saks

Postby Two Saks » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:26 pm

Just thinking about the funky 3rd party map units...we seem to play the following at times:

wildwest
worlds collide
pirates
wwII
alien tide (long ago)

Am I missing any?
Two Saks

Postby vinylrake » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:33 pm

heh, well I played around with that meteor-casting unit a bit more and briefly had the most powerful unit I have ever seen.

When he cast his spell this fast shadow would shoot across to the point of impact at which point anything standing there just vaporized. A group of 20+ zerks, warriors and archers completely vaporized. Kind of scary actually, there wasn't even the proper amount of blood and body parts. There was almost *nothing* left.

Then of course I tried to tone him down a bit, now I have a shade that casts a spell whose effect looks like he throws a handful of harmless STICKS at his opponents. Unfortunately, contrary to what we have always been taught; sticks do not break bones, or injure units in any way.

End result: Shade is once again completely nuetered.
vinylrake

Postby vinylrake » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:34 pm

Two Saks Wrote:Am I missing any?

Leggo
RDF (heh)
vinylrake

Postby vinylrake » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:30 am

Ok TS, I have a *very rough* map made from the Kebira crater photo, with the meteor strike warlocks on it. I have to try to fix the water (right now units walk on the water), and figure out what other units to put on the map. With any luck (e.g. if I don't get distracted by shiny things) I'll have a version ready to try out this weekend.

fyi, I am thinking that this is NOT ever going to be a complete spiffy, visually appealing map - it's just a one-off demo to see how the Kabira crater photo works as a Myth Map. It's pretty boring right now, I think it needs plantlife or maybe some buildings or something to break up the desertish expanses, but I have a headcold so can't think clearly right now.
vinylrake

Next

Return to Gabber's Corner