New version of Myth Map Atlas

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

New version of Myth Map Atlas

Postby vinylrake » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:50 pm

Just as an fyi, there's a new version of the Myth Map Atlas up and running (one of my many ongoing myth projects) - The changes are mostly under the covers stuff, like more efficient coding, but there are more maps and better search options now - you can search on maps by author/order, game type (solo or ffa), map name, description, etc. As of now, there are descriptions of 700 Myth maps (a handful of those are unit plugins) - check it out, find some obscure stuff and ask Baak to add it to the battleplan just for the hell of it.

the myth map atlas
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:41 pm

Sweet!! :D

Dang, you know one of these days VR we're going to have to attempt a merge of both our collections...

:: EXPLODES ::
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby The Elfoid_TFS » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:46 am

It's real nice.

Vinyl, your Myth Dictionary is a little out of date/missing some phrases I think are useful. Mind if I make an update to put on somewhere? Some newbie friends of mine keep complaining about the lingo I use.
The Elfoid_TFS

OoH Special Guest

Postby vinylrake » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:54 am

Thanks for the feedback, you are right- the dictionary is very dated - I haven't updated it in a long, long time.

If you have some additional terms send them my way - submissions are always welcome. I have some really loose criteria I use when determining what to include in the dictionary (e.g. is it commonly used, is it a reasonable acronym, is it funny, [I don't include most of the general AIM/email acronyms because they are documented so extensively elsewhere, etc) so I don't include everything I could, but I can probably be bribed.

If you want to just send the words/phrases/definitions to me I'll credit you as the source for anything I include in the dictionary, if you want to create your own page somewhere (like on your own site) I can add a link on the dictionary page, and/or submit a copy of it to the Myth Graveyard where it can be preserved for posterity or until I get tired of paying the monthly webhosting fees..
vinylrake

Postby Frumius » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:52 pm

vr, you put that site together? That is AWESOME. It's an incredibubble resource! I must post its link over at the Imp forum.

What dictionary are you guys talking about?

I noticed something strange about the site. Something wasn't working, I think, because I got this text up at the very top, above the map banner:

Warning: main(/shared_objects/add_to_log.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /web/script/vinylrake/maps.mything.org/shared_functions.inc on line 1061

Warning: main(): Failed opening '/shared_objects/add_to_log.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /web/script/vinylrake/maps.mything.org/shared_functions.inc on line 1061

Oops, I noticed you forgot to include zz rdf50modz Test51h !

Heh, seriously, Vr, incredibly I do have some maps that aren't on that. Do you want them? Is that ok to just hand 'em out like that?
Last edited by Frumius on Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby Baak » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:05 pm

At some point (maybe a Summer project?) we're going to have to consolidate our map/plugin archives into some kind of master list. :)
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby vinylrake » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:15 am

Frumius Wrote:vr, you put that site together? That is AWESOME. It's an incredibubble resource! I must post its link over at the Imp forum.
Thanks Frum - glad you find it useful. I've been trying to consolidate and reorganize my myth junk over the past year+ so far it's resulted in the Map Atlas, the Myth Graveyard, and a slightly more organized general myth.mything.org world. There is still a lot of junk in little subsites that I need to weed through. Hopefully more chunky goodness to come.

The dictionary is one of the items on the main menu bar near the top of the page - it's link is the word "lingo".

Thanks for the error info - I *just* added some search logging yesterday afternoon and apparently forgot to test something. It should be ok now.

Oops, I noticed you forgot to include zz rdf50modz Test51h !
Heh, when I know what it does, I'll include it.

Heh, seriously, Vr, incredibly I do have some maps that aren't on that. Do you want them? Is that ok to just hand 'em out like that?

Well here's the scoop - I don't actually host any of the maps myself so I am not distributing anything except info *about* the maps. All the download links point to *other* places the maps can be found online - mostly PlayMyth, MythForums, Magma, TrainingHall, The Package, Myth Addicts and a couple of ftp sites I think. The Atlas is just a place to find out ABOUT maps, not a place to actually download them from. Kind of like a music magazine. No actual music just articles about music and advertisements for places that sell music. Except for the advertising and actually making money bit of course.

That said, if you have info about maps or maps that aren't listed there I would love to get a hold of them - I have a lot of maps on my hard drive at home that I haven't added to the Map Atlas yet so there might be some overlap between what you have and what I have that's not listed on the site yet - but I am sure you have some I don't. Maybe we could do a CD map exchange project or something.
vinylrake

Postby Two Saks » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:49 am

Great list VR!

I would say a good 75% I've never seen before, wonder how many gem maps are waiting to be discovered?
Two Saks

OoH Founding Member<br />3000 Club

Postby vinylrake » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Two Saks Wrote:Great list VR!

I would say a good 75% I've never seen before, wonder how many gem maps are waiting to be discovered?

3 to 5?

No, actually there are probably a lot of interesting maps - many kind of forgotten because they were part of a unit conversion in which the solo/units got all the attention. e.g. Most everyone knows about the Bushido units, but how many people have tried out the 7 or 8 Bushido net maps? I've found a few maps that sound like they have some interesting features but often they seem to have some fatal flaw - like the Bloody Mud map - interesting layout/design, fairly appealing visually, but you can lose units up near the edges and the water depth is seriously whacked. So - nice potential, but not up to the quality of the maps we tend to keep in regular rotation. Amazing how many maps I've seen tjat don't even include a description in the readme file.

I am going through my maps for another project (other than the map atlas), I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.
vinylrake

Return to Gabber's Corner