Plugin problems - red games, people get booted when I switch

Talk about Myth, other games and anything else (within the rules)

Plugin problems - red games, people get booted when I switch

Postby princepawn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:41 pm

Ok, I posted this on projectmagma, but no one seems to know what to do. We have a special version of Gimble in the Wabe setup for 2 or 4 person play. It was made by Haravikk of RMA:

http://www.gimbler.us/maps/gimble-in-the-head.zip

Now, the issue is when people download it, they get booted when I switch to it. And when they try to host, the games are red.

So this is sort of 2 requests in 1:

1 - what could be wrong that we could fix
2 - I was never very happy with the names of the maps. I wanted them to be Gimble 4 the Wabe (4-person start maps) and Gimble 2 the Wabe (2-person start maps). So, if there is something that needs to be fixed, then perhaps you could fix and name the maps like that instead. Then I will get everyone to download.

Then we can get busy on the gimble challenger ladder:

http://www.gimbler.us
princepawn

Re: Plugin problems - red games, people get booted when I sw

Postby vinylrake » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:14 pm

princepawn Wrote:1 - what could be wrong that we could fix

Most likely culprit is one of two things:

1) either you or the people being booted have something in your.their local folder that is causing a conflict. Save your local folder or if you aren't doing any map development just throw it in the trash. Have everyone do that. Then try to play.

2) Either you or your players have renamed the actual file that's sitting in your plugins folder. e.g. If you downloaded the same map ex. 'MySwellMapv1.00' and you didn't like the 1.00 because you thought 00 was redundant so renamed the file to 'MySwellMapv1.0' then no one will be able to play in your games because when you activate a map or plugin Myth checks to make sure everyone in the game havsa file with the same exact name in their plugins folder. No match? Boot!

The alternative would be that you have different versions of the same map that you haven't noticed. Even if the file names look identical, if someone changed something on the map on their machine you are going to get the red game/boot phenom.

princepawn Wrote:2 - I was never very happy with the names of the maps. I wanted them to be Gimble 4 the Wabe (4-person start maps) and Gimble 2 the Wabe (2-person start maps). So, if there is something that needs to be fixed, then perhaps you could fix and name the maps like that instead. Then I will get everyone to download.

Modifying the map just to change the names isn't really a very good idea because then there's one MORE different version of the map out there which makes it more likely that you will run into people with different versions of the same map. Different map names between different plugin files = red games/boot.

You might find someone to change the map names for you, but it's really an unnecessary change, and is only going to lead to more of the red game/boot phenomenon you are currently experiencing.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:19 pm

I seem to recall this map had an update but no different version number and/or name for the plugin, which invites the 9th Gate of Hell to open - more or less - because you have "Gimble in the Head" and so do they, only they're different. Are you sure everyone downloaded and installed the same file?

In taking a casual glance at the plugin it appears to be fine, but again I'm not positive which version this is. I will have to dig out my DVD Map Archives as I recently had a hard drive crash that contained my live copy - I rebuilt the updated plugin with a version # back when it came out.

I'll dig it out (maybe tonight if I get a break from work) and see if this version is the updated one or not and see how fast I can rebuild it with the new map names. But this raises the same problem of having multiple plugins floating around with the same name - it's best to tack a new version number or something whenever you make any changes.
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby princepawn » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:55 am

Baak Wrote:I seem to recall this map had an update but no different version number and/or name for the plugin, which invites the 9th Gate of Hell to open - more or less - because you have "Gimble in the Head" and so do they, only they're different. Are you sure everyone downloaded and installed the same file?

That's a good point. It sounds like a common practice for map builders is to tack a version number onto each release and that was not done. So I really cant be sure.

Baak Wrote:I'll dig it out (maybe tonight if I get a break from work) and see if this version is the updated one or not and see how fast I can rebuild it with the new map names.

dynamite. And of course you will put a version number on it as well.

Baak Wrote: But this raises the same problem of having multiple plugins floating around with the same name - it's best to tack a new version number or something whenever you make any changes.

Yes, please tack a version number on it. So great. So here is what I envision:

The plugin could be called Gimble Head to Head
    The plugin will have version numbers
    The 2-start maps will be named Gimble 2 the Wabe $direction
    where $direction is East, North or South
    The 4-start maps will be named Gimble 4 the Wabe $dir0 and $dir1
    where $dir0 and $dir1 are the directions of the locations

And if it could be uploaded to the tain or at ooh, that is fine with me. I will remove all my copies from the web.
[/list]
princepawn

Postby Baak » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:35 pm

I will fiddle with this Sunday (tomorrow) and see what we can come up with.
Baak

Postby Baak » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:49 pm

Ok - I tracked down both versions of the original plugin and rebuilt the updated version with the new map names.

It's a slightly larger zip as I decided to use a copy of the original Gimble map internally since my experience has proven odd things sometimes happen relying on the built-in map collections. There is no difference externally or during play. I've included the original readme file and added an additional small text file with my notes. I did a simple "v1" to start off the versioning.

The zip file is located here, and I leave it up to you to post to The Tain. I'll leave the zip file here for a week or two before removing it.

Try it out and let me know if it looks ok to you. I ran it through my map anazlyzer that spits out major problems (unit imbalances, etc.) and didn't find anything.
Baak

Postby princepawn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:38 pm

Baak Wrote:Ok - I tracked down both versions of the original plugin and rebuilt the updated version with the new map names.

Try it out and let me know if it looks ok to you. didn't find anything.

Yes me and Two Smoking Guns just played all 3 2-player versions (which is all we ever really use, but the 4-player could come in handy given the lower amount of people playing myth).

The zip file is now at the gimble site ( http://www.gimbler.us/maps )and I have no plans to put it on the Tain.

Thank you very much.
princepawn

Postby Baak » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:23 pm

I'll post the same version here on the OoH site at some point as well.

princepawn Wrote:Thank you very much.

You're welcome. :)
Baak

Postby vinylrake » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:41 pm

Baak Wrote:I'll post the same version here on the OoH site at some point as well.

*bump* Just a reminder.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Heh - how in the world did you notice this?!? ;)

I'll add it to the BP this week along with a couple more updated plugins (which I happen to be working on right now).
Baak

Next

Return to Gabber's Corner