Any guesses? :)

Read OoH news/announcements and post feedback/support here

Postby Frumius » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Baak Wrote:I've gotta redo the OoH Downloads page to make it a bit more sane.

What about an alphabetical list of the plugs at the top of the page, each being a link to it's spot on the page below? It's really hard finding any given one of them; If I want ADT, f'rinstance, right now I can search for that text, but it's mentioned in half a dozen places all over the page, so can't find it right away.
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby Baak » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:42 am

vinylrake Wrote:well, if the BoDs are going to actually get fixed i might have to actually finish the custom images for each of the Balls of Death. (other than the wighty wight ball of course since it is the way I want it already. hmmmm... although maybe the wighty wight 'ball' should actually be white?

OMG! Custom BoD!! :D

The one where it's a ball could be a giant pus packet mb? I really like the one that's actually a Wight to stay that way. There are two different ones, right?

Frumius Wrote:What about an alphabetical list of the plugs at the top of the page, each being a link to it's spot on the page below? It's really hard finding any given one of them; If I want ADT, f'rinstance, right now I can search for that text, but it's mentioned in half a dozen places all over the page, so can't find it right away.

I'm thinking of a grid similar to the Battle Plan only with extra columns including Category, Author, Date Added/Updated, whether or not it is an update, etc. And I'm toying with the possibility of making it open/close the details/image when you click on it and/or having a thumbnail image on the main grid, etc.

Right now there is waaaaay too much information and images on the page along with - as you mention - the inability to find anything quickly and easily (including updates).

I originally thought of tabbed categories, but I'm leaning towards a clean grid with basic info and then the ability to drill down to details if you wish. I've also thought about just doing an image-only page (or something wacky) as a separate page so you can visually click on stuff. But that's a whole 'nother story...

P.S. I've got ADT-AW, MythWarrior-AW, and Wild West-AW all updated and working on the Dorfball map along with extra tweaks and fixes to bring them all to 1.4. That's three down...
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby vinylrake » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 am

Baak Wrote:OMG! Custom BoD!! :D

The one where it's a ball could be a giant pus packet mb? I really like the one that's actually a Wight to stay that way. There are two different ones, right?

Actually 3.

1. Wight Balls (explode like a wight)

2. Wight Bouncy Balls (explode like a wight but after the initial explosion there are a couple of additional explosions that propel the ball pretty high up in the air giving units underneath a chance to run away or kill each other)

3. Wighty Wight Balls (explode like a wight, look like a wight - not quite as hair triggery as the other wight balls)

then there is the bloody pus balls which also explode like pus packets and since they 'leak' pus packets as they are pushed around the resulting explosion is often pretty similar in force to a wight blast. (then there are invisible bloody pus balls too, but those are just a novelty)

Originally I was thinking of just adding some kind of logo to the balls so you could tell at a glance what the ball did. Like the symbols on universal signage. Then I was thinking it would be cool to do really detailed custom images like a ball of flame for the warlock fireballs, etc. Then when I got lazy I started thinking the logos wouldn't be so bad. At this point I am undecided.

Baak Wrote:Right now there is waaaaay too much information and images on the page along with - as you mention - the inability to find anything quickly and easily (including updates).

I originally thought of tabbed categories, but I'm leaning towards a clean grid with basic info and then the ability to drill down to details if you wish. I've also thought about just doing an image-only page (or something wacky) as a separate page so you can visually click on stuff. But that's a whole 'nother story...

I am a big fan of tabbed browsing (or an equivalent way to filter things), but one compromise would be to have a 'all' tab along with 'units','maps','netgame enhancements'(or whatever you want to call the KoBH flipper and Balls o' Fun).

You could also have an 'all' page that is more of a simple list of downloads with the ability to sort by name or TYPE of file, and have the tabbed areas formatted more like your current dl page with lots of images and 'ad-copy'. Might be a practical compromise.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Pyro » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:38 am

Perhaps also have a statement letting people know there is another page with downloads in this place... the Battle Plan. Not everyone who visits this site will know what the BP is or that there are two pages with downloads. They will most likely just go to the OoH Downloads and not bother with the BP. Maybe have it say something like "Looking for more downloads? Click here, or else."
Pyro

OoH Member

Postby Baak » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:34 am

Excellent stuff guys! Thanks!

VR: I had thought about doing something similar with the tabs, but the idea of having the "All" tab not including the details (i.e. being more like the Battle Plan) just came together with your description. Thanks!

Pyro: Excellent idea!
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Previous

Return to OoH News/Feedback/Support