Wild West / Worlds Collide / Myth Warrior Anywhere

Read OoH news/announcements and post feedback/support here

Wild West / Worlds Collide / Myth Warrior Anywhere

Postby Baak » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:45 pm

Hey All--

I've finished three plugins that allow you to play Wild West, Worlds Collide, and MythWarrior "Anywhere" (i.e. on most maps!) :D

They convert 450+ units from all kinds of maps in as balanced a way as I could manage, and turn "excess" melee units into nothing (using a trick I devised for RDF/UGR) to make things more fun.

I have permission requests out for Worlds Collide and MythWarrior (just heard back from Frigidman who gave an enthusiastic blessing to Wild West Anywhere!). I am posting them publicly with the hopes that players will have a chance to play these excellent conversions more because they are no longer limited to one map:

I've included the conversion flags/balls for each wherever possible, and made sure all standard Myth flags/balls work as well (note that unfortunately the Balls o' Fun and Balls o' Death OoH plugins will not work with these as you can't double-up plugins in that way).

In addition, for Wild West and Worlds Collide there are some scenery items that convert to Lanterns/Medkits/TNT for WW and Shreen Grenades for WC. Lastly, I included Cydonian's cool Lizard unit as stampede/hunting/ambient life when playing with WC.

We've played them all a few times now and they are very fun! We just did MythWarrior AW on "Clash in the Cloudspine" and "Lichen Final" - yowza!

Grab them all on the OoH Downloads - Unit Conversion Plugins (where you can see snapshots of the plugins in action). I've included the original readmes/manuals (except for WW which has a link to Frigidman's page).

Enjoy!! :D
~Baak

NOTE: If you downloaded any of the UGR / Wild West / Worlds Collide / MythWarrior Anywhere plugins before this announcement, you should be sure you have the latest updates, some of which were posted 4/23. These should be the final updates for quite awhile, and are: UGR 1.3g, WW 1.2, WC 1.1, MW 1.1.
Baak

OoH Founding Member<br />Site Admin

Postby The Elfoid_TFS » Thu May 03, 2007 6:15 pm

Are you aware these don't appear to work on solo maps half the time, and the same for ADT?
The Elfoid_TFS

OoH Special Guest

Postby Frumius » Thu May 03, 2007 7:29 pm

I think Baak is afk for a couple weeks, so I'll speak for him.

Yes, he meant "Anywhere," as in, on any team or ffa map. Weird issues I don't know about would have to be worked out for it to work on most of the coop maps. But toxyn and I have played it on several, with wildly different experiences. I mean, tox and my experiences were prolly similar, heh, but from one map to the other the enemies might attack, stand still, or run away! Or it may be difficult to even find them.
Frumius

OoH Member<br />2000 Club

Postby vinylrake » Thu May 03, 2007 7:44 pm

The Elfoid_TFS Wrote:Are you aware these don't appear to work on solo maps half the time, and the same for ADT?

It should be definitely mentioned somewhere on the description of the plugins but as Frum said, the plugins are for ffa maps, not solo.

Some of the reasons they aren't for solo are some solo map scripts depend on certain units having special abilities or being able to pick up an object or cast a spell, etc. If you replace the unit the script depends on the script might never be able to finish. e.g. If the script says the play won - e.g. the game is over - when Alric picks up the Sword of DoomSlaying, and the Alric unit has been converted to a Shreen (worlds collide) that can't pick up objects, then you won't ever be able to finish the level. There are other issues too of course. Likewise with how some myth units 'dissapear' when certain plugins are activated.

I ran into the same problems with those old "I wish I had more...." plugins, On SOME solo levels they worked really well, some they didnt work at all.
vinylrake

OoH Member<br />4000 Club<br>Forum Admin

Postby Baak » Fri May 04, 2007 1:57 pm

Vinylrake covered it well.

Solo issues:

(1) Special units;
(2) Friendly units' artifacts;
(3) Enemy solo units often need different attacks (can be tricky to fine-tune);
(4) The Anywhere plugins convert some melee into nothing - not good for solo thrall! ;)
(5) The solo version of the plugins MUST be different, since the Dark units have to convert differently than the Light!
Baak

Postby Baak » Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm

Doh! I realized last night as I was drifting off to sleep that it will be fairly easy for me to make versions of these plugins to play on solo - as long as the enemy remains standard Myth (i.e. Fetch, Thrall, etc.).

I was original thinking of the complete solo conversions where you make the enemy units into the conversions units as well - for example, Wild West good guys versus Wild West bad guys. This is much harder because you often have to completely rework the enemy attacks (very time consuming with testing iterations).

By leaving the enemies as the standard Myth ones, I only (heh) need to convert the friendly units differently than on the multi plugins - possibly adding more ammo, not converting some units into "nothing", making them able to pick up some artifacts, etc.

So for the Wild West AWSolo (or whatever name I come up with), you'll have Wild West units against Soulblighter and his evil minions! Ooooooh. At the same time, I'll make it work with Magma's excellent TFL Solo conversion for Myth II.

Oh man, this could be FUN! :D
Baak

Postby The Elfoid_TFS » Sun May 06, 2007 5:03 am

Why not change enemy specs while you're at it? When Ozone made Special Forces, the solo levels pit Special Forces units against standard armies of the dark but to compensate for the fact that machine guns > rifles he made most enemies much faster, most notably thrall (who became jokes of enemies against SF). He also gave ghol throwable cluster bombs, things like that.

Certainly for ADT, if you convert that as well as WW which is quite similar to SF - fast, powerful, semi-auto units abound - you should take a look at what he did.

Baak ~the last thing I think about at night is my one true love, Myth
The Elfoid_TFS

OoH Special Guest

Postby Baak » Sun May 06, 2007 9:14 pm

Alas - time is the main issue. :)

I'm going to whip out a set of "X versus Myth" (where X is the various conversions I've done in the Anywhere plugins - more to come btw), and then I may do one or more of them where the Dark are converted to the same conversion type units. It's doable for sure - again, time is the biggest issue.
Baak

Return to OoH News/Feedback/Support